Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Back from Wisconsin

I recently returned from a trip to Hancock, Wisconsin. It's been great to catch up on the family blog, it's exciting to see so many new entries!

As a lot of you may know (and some of you have visited), my grandparents on my mom's side have a cottage in this small town in Wisconsin, that I've been going to for my whole life. This year we had kind of a mini-reunion there with my grandparents, my family, and my two aunts and a few cousins. I had a really fun and relaxing time.

We of course had to attend the annual Hancock 4th of July parade, which seems to be expanding - they even had a high school marching band this year (there were only about 20 and they didn't have uniforms, but they still sounded good)! There was also a car show in the single gas station parking lot in the town, and so if you had an old car or a truck or some defining feature you could also drive your car (or sometimes tractor) through the parade.




That night there is also a street dance, held on the street (surprise!) and in the fire house. They had the same band since last year, but I must say that they played more of a variety of music this year. Last year they played 85% Johnny Cash covers. Kyle and I also gambled on a wooden wheel with numbers, where you can put a quarter or up to a dollar on numbers (or the cherry or star). We lost about $5 but it kept us going for awhile.

Other activities while up at the lake were: tubing, jet-skiing, lounging, playing Wii, reading, boat rides, a LONG canoe trip on the Crystal River in fiberglass boats from the 1950s, picking asparagus (see below -- one of my favorite activities -- it's like a scavenger hunt but you get to eat the prizes in soup), picking strawberries, bowling, eating, playing mini-golf (in the front yard on our homemade course), going to garage sales, going to antique stores, playing Rock Band, working on a puzzle, watching Season 1 of Lost, and talking walks.



I also picked up my dog, Rufus, in Beloit and he had a great time at the cottage. For a city dog, he really found his country/wilderness side. Here he is on his first ever boat ride.



And here is a group photo at the bowling alley with our Pinecrest reunion shirts. I drew and designed the shirts. Since it's pretty far away to actually see the design, I'll add the design below.





I hope you're all enjoying the summer!

No comments: