Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Dawn and Heather update (and the Tigers)

Update from the heatwave! We did another camping trip with the puppies to Christopher Creek (I know, it amazes me too). This time with friends and their dog. Our campsite was right on the creek and backed up to the forest. Apparently the bears wander down from the forest during the night - or at least that's what our neighbor said. Heather (and I) didn't think I would last very long after this statement. Our friends convinced me that the lady was crazy. But just in case, they hung up a "bear bell" on a clothesline in case the bear wandered through our campsite. Whew!

Unfortunately, we did not take pictures this trip. You all would have loved the pictures if we had taken any. We found out that Chauncey actually is capable of swimming. And at times will go in the water on his own (without being thrown in)! This discovery was made in the canyon/gorge a few miles down the creek from our campsite.

The dogs loved going down the water slides to each of the pools below. The hard part was getting them (and us) back up to each next level on the way back. Thank goodness we had harnesses for them!

We didn't take pics, but I have a link that shows some pretty good pictures of this area:
http://hikearizona.com/phoZOOM.php?ZIP=68194

Since the creek was next to our campsite, we made great use of the "bathing" opportunities - or at least some soap and shampoo. Enough until I could get home & take a really long shower after our 4 day trip. Still amazes me that I am now a camper. Brian doesn't believe it each time I tell him.

Hopefully we will fit in one more camping trip this summer. And I will plan on taking a fully charged camera (good intentions always). In the meanwhile, we will deal with the heat by staying in & watching the Tigers tumble back in the standings. Poor Heather....

As you all know, I will watch the Tigers games since they are always on at our house (who told Heather about the MLB package?). However, I refuse to participate in the yelling about why every Tigers closer is incompetent! Someone in our household makes a practice of this. I cannot wait until Pat gets out here so he can get in on the current one-sided discussion. I have had to hear about Todd Jones for months and now apparently there are others joining him.
Pat, please hurry - I need a reliever.

Until the next adventure, I hope all is well with everyone!
Love, Dawn (and Heather)

1 comment:

Carol T said...

It sounds like you had a great time The pictures are beautiful! But, you don't think that a bear would have made the trip even more exciting?

I appreciate the "Heads Up" with the Tiger standings. I'm sure Pat will enjoy having someone else to discuss it with. He will probably want to check out the MLB package, too. While going through the "Cox Guide" it is amazing how many MLB channels there are. He and I enjoy many of they same TV shows but the second TV sounds like it will come in handy with all of the sports, etc. In addition to benefiting him since I think he could only handle so many "Little House On The Prairie's" and "MASH's" I'm really looking forward to him coming out here!