Sunday, January 4, 2009

If anyone cuts off a limb, I'm your guy!

K, if you actually cut off a limb, I have never actually attached a limb, and it is still not in my scope of practice but if you promise not to tell anyone I did it, I will try to sew it on. Anyway... for the real news.
Well, I am finally done with Nursing school which ended in Nov. and on Dec. 29th I took my Arizona State license exam, and passed. I am now officially a nurse. Up until this point, when a patient asked me something I did not have the answer to, I would tell them, 'I dont know, I'm a fake nurse, I'll go ask the real nurse'. So... I am not quite sure what I will say now if I don't know the answer so let's just hope I know EVERYTHING (I did say hope). I am working at Phoenix St. Luke's hospital in downtown phoenix. Not only am I a nurse, but I am a telemetry nurse (I work with heart patients). I told the director on the floor, where I was a student, that I would like to work on her floor and she said she would love it. To work on that floor though, you have to have an ACLS certification, which I actually got before I took my exam to be an RN. I am very excited, I was dreading the thought of working as a med/surg nurse which is a typical entry level position.

I am also incredibly excited to have so much more time with Allie. I am sure my mom is thrilled, not that she does not love allie, but I'm sure it will be nice for her to maybe have two minutes free to herself a day. We probably won't give her much more than that, I would not want her to get bored. :) I love my days off when I wake up and just hang out with my little girl. A problem we have always had is that everytime I tickle her, she gets the hiccups, so with all my time off I have discovered that if I tickle her upside down (her upside down, not me), she does not get the hiccups, so now every day I walk over to her to give her a hug, I pick her up, and I softly tell her, don't worry Allie, I won't tickle you, I only tickle on Thursdays, or whatever day it is. The first time, she actually fell for it :) The second time, well she is smart, but she still loves to be tickled!

The other thing I am excited about, I told Marge and she told me she doubted anyone else had those same thoughts or looked at the walls of a bookstore the way I have, so I will try to paint a picture.
If you can imagine, a single mom (unless you count my parents who have doubled, and tripled? as parents), in school for two years, working most of that time, and just about every free second I had was spent at the local Barnes and Noble (which was not really free, although I do enjoy their comfortable chairs and starbucks, I was studying). My friend Rich and I would go several days a week. We would study for hours, get up to get a cup of coffee and back to studying while we drank the cup. And with books open all around me, at least a couple on my lap, one on the arm of the chair, a couple on the little plant holder thing in front of me, and probably one where my feet should go, but I sit with them in the chair, and as I would sink deeper and deeper into the chair, I would stare up at these sort of poster paintings of all the classics (books) and dream about the day I would come to the book store, grab a cup of coffee, and read a book for enjoyment, and not because if I didn't find out what drug you give for superventricular tachycardia I would surely flunk my test. Then, when I was too tired to study even after the coffee, I would go home and go straight to bed, wake up and repeat. Rich and I would joke that we would meet back at home the next day (the bookstore), or that we should just bring a pillow and a change of clothes. Anyway, so now, I can't wait to pick out a book, go to the bookstore, and read it. I am so excited I am having a hard time deciding which book to read!
Anyway, on to my next adventure, I am going to teach myself Spanish, read a good book, and spend time with my amazing daughter.
P.S. I will post holiday pictures later.
Love you all, Ang.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

You "GO GIRL" ...CONGRATULATIONS.
We are very excited for y'all...
(y'all is singular)....
So much work... you gotta be PROUD ... as we are for you.
Love geo and Diane

Lindsay said...

Congratulations Angela! That's awesome!

Carol T said...

In our household, we may be using the "Limb Idea" but hopefully not! It is good to know that you are willing and able if necessary! I am so proud of you!!

Cheryl said...

YIPPEE!!! I am very proud of you. Yeaaaa you!!!